"Your father told me you have become the Bank Manager of SBI. So I thought I'll have a few words with Madam Banker" said my grandfather on the phone. FYI I recently opened an account in SBI and the news reached my grandpa through obvious sources.
I just laughed out loud at the banker joke. It was strange but this particular joke suddenly broke the ice between us and for the first time in my life I FELT for my grandpa. A strange connection. Not that I hated him before but I was never close to him. In fact I was thought him to be a cold, irritable man. As a kid whenever I visited Gorakhpur (A place in U.P where my granparents have been living for 47 years now) he came across as the one who'd always have a problem with everything. "Dont go to the terrace, you'll create a mess" "Why cant you children just sit peacefully in one place?" "Dont eat too many sweets its not healthy" etc etc and naturally I had an unusual bend towards his wife, my late grandmother, who was exactly the opposite. Full of life, food loving, "let the children do what they do best, shaitani" she used to tell.
But today was a different. "I thought for 20 minutes before making this call. Whether I should make it or I shouldnt. You know, I never really got to know my grandparents but you all are so lucky we are there.Anyway, call me tomorrow morning around 9:30 and tell me details of your account. I'll try my best to help you. See all your cousins are working. If you want to pursue higher studies you need money no? " he said continuing to specify the purpose of his call. I dont care about the money grandpa its your concern that touches me, I wanted to say but sometimes its best if you keep the sentiments to yourself. "What happened to that 10,000 I had sent last time? You have deposited it all no?" he continued, I didnt want to say I shopped for 5000 bucks for Durga Pooja and had no idea where the rest of the amount was but I had no choice but to lie. "Yes yes of course Dadu!"
I dont know whether it was Kailash's songs or the food in Chilly's which made me so emotionally charged but yes, for the first time in my life I had 100 gm lump in my throat as grandpa spoke these words. "A man who used to speak for 8-9 hrs a day in his 12 hrs of duty has no one to talk to for 20 minutes at a stretch now.(Sighs) Its very lonely you know. I m 80+ now and there are lots of problems. My eye sight is decreasing. I think its cataract! " he said with another sigh. "Why dont you come here and stay with us. See grandma is here and she is very happy. So many people to talk to, so many things to do, I m sure you'll like a bit of change" I said meaning every word whole heartedly. I saw the negative response coming but I still waited for his response. "Travelling is out of question mitu (my pet name). You see I had a reservation that time but I fell sick. My health wont permit travel now" he finished. As this point the lump in my throat doubled in size. Even I'll be 85 one day, will it be really lonely? Why am I so self- centered? Why cant I think beyond myself and my life? I have to visit granpa I thought to myself as the conversation almost came to an end.
"Now give the phone to your baba and dont forget to call me tomorrow ok?" he said with that typical caring grandpa tone.
...... The phone call stirred my inside. I made two resolutions:
1. Call him atleast once a week and listen to him talk. (Granpas love that! Infact everyone does)
2. Visit him ASAP. The old man needs this the most.
10 comments:
I never thought i'd never read it, let alone comment on this post, going by the starting of it(coz it was all mushy, senti). And coz there was no seperation between the paras, it was tough to read. Given the lazy person i am, you know i'd never hav thought of readin it!
But it was an awesome post. Maybe one of your best. Keep more such posts coming :D .
PS : No copy-pasting any fav lines! Loved the entire post
This effing blogger.com throws lots of tantrums at times.I tried separating the paras thrice but in vain! :|
Thanks a lot Dinesh. It matters a lot when it comes from you :)
A huge senti attack @ the PS :D
Wonderfully written...! Lovely. :)
I wish I had a grandpa :(
Oh strange :|
:D
I remember how bad I felt about my self centeredness after my grand father passed away.
It's great you realized it sooner. You'll surely make your grandpa happier than ever!
@Soniya : Awwww! and thanks :)
@Alekhya: I hope so. I m visiting him very soon :)
i wonder whether we all will end up this way... Old.. lonely.. and with nobody to talk to...
Sigh its a scary thought Arjun.
awww...I actually have a tear in mine and the worse part is I never cry. Well atleast most days I dont.
I donno if I should say "Glad i brought tears in your eyes" :P But thanks for the comment anyway :)
Post a Comment