Friday, May 2, 2014

So close yet so far

Letter 1

She picked up a dusty old notebook and began writing.

"I spent the evening staring at the lake. It was a surreal feeling. A seemingly ordinary moment but a moment that never failed calm my soul. I thought of you and the times we spent immersing in each other's laughter. I couldn't remember exactly why we laughed so uncontrollably. What was it that was so funny?

This lake brings back such wonderful memories. Life used to be so simple then. We could sit here for hours in the pretext of bringing water. Without a care in the world. We never knew when bright daylight turned into gorgeous dawn and it was time to return home. Do you remember those sunsets? I hope you do. Because I think those were the most precious times we spent in each other's company"

Letter 2

"They came home to see me. Mother asked me to dress up in a "ladylike" manner and asked me to "behave myself" in their presence. He was podgy and average looking. He spoke very little. His head was buried in the glass of lemonade he was holding. His mother did most of the talking. I overheard when she said I was dark and my hair was not long enough. Father seemed anxious and blamed mother after they left for not eating well when she had me. I don't know what else that woman said because no one uttered a word during dinner. There was a long awkward silence. I feel guilty without having done anything wrong. Is this normal?

All I can think of right now is if you were here with me, I would just collapse in your arms."


Letter 3

"Some other people came home this afternoon. This time the guy just wouldn't stop talking. He went on about his flourishing family business, 3 petrol pumps that they own, how everyone shuddered at the mention of their surname in the village. His mother didn't talk much. Just caressed his hair every minute and called him the best son in the world. I stood there, with my face behind the veil, when he declared my nose is too big and my teeth was crooked. Father didnt eat his dinner properly. Mother said she had a headache and slept early. Brother and I ate in silence."

Letter 4

"I am not sure why i am writing to you. I don't even know if you will ever get to read this."

Letter 5

"Today we visited a beautiful farm. It was bigger than most I've seen in my life. There were a few machines that I knew nothing about. A few workers were trying to explain the way these huge machines worked. I just got a gist of it but nodded through the entire talk.

He is a man of few words but he seems to be very caring. Keeps checking if I need something. I think this isn't as bad as I expected. You wouldn't have returned to the country soon anyway."

Letter 6

"I bled a little. I am not sure is this is what it was supposed to feel or maybe it is. I am feeling strange. Like I was not part of it at all. I dont think this is appropriate but I had to let it out somewhere. Maybe I am thinking too much."

Letter 7

"Today we stopped at the market to buy a few things. You remember how bad we were at picking fresh fruits? We just put all of it in the basket without caring about the rotten ones. We just liked looking at the bunch of bright colors shining in our baskets and couldn't wait to dig in.

I learnt today how to see good apples from rotten ones. Maybe its not too late. Maybe you were right about me trying to like apples and not just give all of them to you"

Letter 8

"Today I made some fried potatoes and lentils for lunch and thought of you. It was always your favourite. You would engulf the whole box under 5 minutes. I couldn't make them as good as mother did but he said "potatoes are nice" even though they were a bit under cooked and salty. I felt guilty and happy at the same time. I think I will make them again for him. And taste it first."

Letter 9

"I got pregnant. I was so scared yesterday when I came to know that I wept like a baby. When I told him he asked me why i was crying instead of celebrating. I think he is really happy with the news.

Parents are thrilled and want me to go to the hospital to check if it is a boy or a girl. Isnt it too early for that? I am still quite scared. I cannot imagine being a mother. This is all too new to me.

Mother cant keep the news to herself and is announcing it to the entire clan. I am still coming to terms with morning sickness. I feel drained without doing anything.

Will you think I am foolish if I say I am feeling angry for no reason? I shouted at the wife of one of the workers for a silly reason today. I feel like a terrible person."

Letter 10

"I am picking up the pen after so long. It feels so good to think you have been listening to everything I have to say. I feel fortunate to have your company even in your absence. It has been so many years. I still feel the same warmth and emotion when I write these letters to you. Even if you never happen to read these letters you have given me company through highs and lows. Most importantly you have lent an ear when i needed it the most. You are always in my thoughts. In my heart. Hope you succeed in whatever you do"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He came home and threw his bag on the couch. She handed him a glass of water. He looked exhausted to bits. "Rough day?" She asked clearly sensing the exhaustion. "Oh yeah. Very long day. Whats for dinner?" He asked changing the topic and paying attention to his grumbling tummy. "I thought you'd eat at work. There is some pasta in the fridge. Want me to reheat it for you?" She said sincerely hoping for a positive answer. "I could eat an elephant right now but pasta would be just fine honey" he said collapsing on the couch.

"So what else is happening?" She asked breaking the silence. "Nothing extraordinary"

They finished eating and went off to sleep.

No comments: